Contemporary Portrait Workshop - Nov. 27
Join Polly Jiménez for a gouache portrait workshop while she's visiting Chicago from Mexico City!
Oh no! Monday again after a long weekend but worry not because here’s an exciting way to kick off your week!
Learn an easy way to make (self) portraits from drawing to paint application. We’ll explore an easy way to draw heads in a proportioned way with the Loomis method followed by a quick lesson on how to use gouache paintings (water-based) and simple tricks to use correct shadows and highlights, as well as exploring face features, we’ll finalize the session with your own (self) portrait using all the techniques learned in class.
At the end of the night, I’ll share with you a template for head-building practice, a file with different references and inspirational artists. Each ticket will include a kit of materials to use in class and take home with you and a breakdown of materials below.
Meet your instructor, Polly! Polly Jiménez is a fine artist and illustrator from Mexico City known for her delicate, narrative-driven watercolors. Her work is inspired by the small details that are characteristically from Mexican culture, Polly is constantly looking for different perspectives to talk about her experience as an independent female artist. See more of Polly's colorful work at @pollyshortstories and shortstoriesstudio.com.
Monday, November 27th - 6-8:30pm - Indigo & Violet Studio - 1411 W. Irving Park Rd.
Here's what the workshop includes:
- 2 high-quality gouache painting tubes
- 1 round brush
- 5 cold-press cotton paper sheets
- bond and kraft paper for warming-up exercises
- 6-well plastic palette for mixing colors
- BYOB snacks, beer, and wine welcome
- Up to 12 tickets are available - each workshop attendee should purchase a ticket
- We will follow local safety guidelines at the time of the event - masks are recommended but not currently required
- Please continue to self-screen and reach out to us if you're sick or have had covid or flu exposure leading up to the event
- Please let us know how many in your party if signing up separately - we'll adjust seating and spacing ahead of time