Join us for a virtual notebook upcycling workshop with local bookbinder, Krysta Ann Williams!
In this virtual class, we will learn about the essential structural elements of a book and how to use what you already have to spruce up a notebook that has some useable parts but just doesn't delight you anymore. We'll talk about modifications such as re-covering, adding inlays, applying new end sheets, removing unwanted pages, and if time permits I will demo recovering an existing text block.
This project is great for any of us journaling, doodling, hand-lettering, and looking to re-purpose what we have in quarantined times. No experience required - make sure to share this link with your friends so you can craft together, yet apart.
We encourage you to use what you already have in your home - feel free to adapt any of the materials below. If you have any questions about what you have on-hand please feel free to reach out.
Tuesday, May 19, 2020 - 5:30-7pm CST
via zoom call (link to be sent approx. 24 hours prior to class)
Here's what you'll need:
- one or two (or more) old notebooks or journals. It can be spiral-bound, hardcover journal, softcover journal, whatever you have that you wish you liked just a little more.
- sharp blade for cutting, Exacto, utility knife, or similar
- cutting mat to protect your work surface (scrap cardboard could work in a pinch)
- ruler (corked back if you have one!)
- decorative paper of different styles, types and weighs
- heavy card stock or thin cardboard
- needle and thread - embroidery floss, waxed thread of any type, and dental floss are all options!
- glue - PVA or modge podge are ideal, but other types of craft glue work
- bone folder or substitute (butter knife, popsicle stick, citrus peeler, rolling pin)
- some heavy books or other similar weight
Krysta Ann Williams is an artist working in photography and bookbinding. She has lived and worked in Chicago since 2003 and takes much inspiration from the complexity, diversity, and beauty of the city. Krysta's earliest memories in life involve paper, glue, and dunking graham crackers in coffee at her grandparents' kitchen table, she has been prioritizing crafts and snacks in her life ever since.
ALL VIRTUAL EVENTS WILL COME WITH A 15% OFF COUPON FOR AN IN-PERSON EVENT WHEN WE RESUME IN-STUDIO EVENTS.
By registering for any event at indigo & violet studio you acknowledge that you have read and agree to our BYOB Disclaimer and the terms of service located here.